Do you think Atkins could substitute for our carbon diet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gwens18a
  • Start date Start date
G

gwens18a

Guest
But seriously.
The March National Geographic has received some serious attention in Canada for its article on the oilsands http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/02/25/oilsands-articles.html
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090224.woilsands0224/BNStory/Front
. One of the claims by those that defend this dirty source of oil is that we will not be able to get away from using oil for several decade and the tar sands will be a necessary source of energy until green technologies can take over.
For the good of the planet we need to get away from spewing all this carbon from fossil fuel into the atmosphere. If we were to start a serious effort right now, how long would do you believe it would take to convert all our energy need from carbon to green technologies?
Terry and John when people are given the correct information about what is happening they will decide that action is in the best interest. If it's decided that the best interest is the planet, it will no longer be "you do your thing and I'll do mine", you will do what the majority tells you to do. It's called democracy.
 
Apparently 1.5 million people believe that America can be 100% carbon neutral in 10 years. And, apparently, 1.5 million people are morons. http://www.wecansolveit.org/

Ugh. The worst part is they have commercials all the time, they must have spent millions. Why advertise for an impossible goal? Why not put that money towards the goal? It's groups like this that make AGW proponents seem nuts.

Sorry, I've wanted to rant about these guys for a while and your question seemed like a good enough opportunity. To answer seriously though, I have no idea, as I think it depends almost entirely on R&D, which is notoriously unpredictable.
 
It would take forever to convert to "green technologies" because none of them work.

So, when the earth starts cooling, will you stand up and advocate using the oil in the tar sands to warm the earth?
 
It is pretty ignorant to think that human produced energy should be equivalent to other forms of energy. That would be like asking for humans to defeat all trucks. it is stupid.
 
How about you do what you think "we need" to do and I'll do what I think I need to do.

History is full of examples of people who caused all kinds of grief by imposing on others something they thought "we needed."

There is no "we" - there are you and I. And we disagree. We have a different opinion. So you go live according to yours and I will live according to mine - that's equality, that's liberty, that's fairness.
 
Back
Top